Wednesday, November 30, 2016

ONW feature Story 2

Assignment: Our next assignment in Video was to create another feature story. I chose to create a feature story over my dad and my younger sister on how they play the piano on Sunday mornings at Westside Family Church, and how Darren inspired Sara to begin to play the piano and start to play at church.

Pre-Production:
To start the project I researched the topic of playing the piano. I found out statistics and fun facts about pianos and people who played the piano. After researching the topic I wrote out the 21 interview questions for each person and I decided where I wanted to go with the story. I decided that I wanted to show how Darren played the piano for the church and that inspired his youngest daughter Sara to play the piano for the middle school service. 

Production:
Once I finished writing the questions and researching I started to collect B-Roll and interview Darren and Sara. For the B-roll I got a variety of shots with them playing the piano, Darren working with Sara, and them looking at sheet music together. I also went on Wednesday night to go to Darren;s practice to get shots of the band playing together. After I collected all the B-roll and interviews I downloaded all the footage and began to edit it. 

Post-Production:
After everything was filmed and downloaded onto the computer I began getting sound bytes from the interview. I got the sound bytes by taking the pieces of the interview that I needed to put into the feature story. Once that was done I started to write the script for the voice overs, and placed everything together for the final script. Then I went into the studio and recorded the voice overs and then downloaded them onto the computer. The next step was to piece everything together; I started by laying out the voice overs and the sound bytes into the timeline to get a guide of where I wanted everything. Then I started going through the B-roll and choosing which clips I wanted and where they needed to go to make sure that they feature story flowed. Once everything was in place in the timeline I began to adjust the sound levels to get an even sound throughout the entire video. Once the rough draft of the video was done I watched through the video and made sure I had no jump cuts and if I did to make sure B-roll covered them.

Reflection:
Overall I am happy with my project because I had more than enough B-roll and I talked slower while filming my voice overs. If I could change something I would change the variety of the types of shots I had. I would incorporate more of the six shot system, I would et more close-ups, medium shots, and extreme close-ups. I learned how to get more B-roll and edit the sound to make sure the audio levels are even and I also learned how to create a better feature story. For the next project I will use what I learned about B-roll and how I need more than I think I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment